Joined Lowetide this morning to discuss the Oilers and what to expect in the next week.
- Lots of blame to go around for the loss on Saturday. My big concern was the amount of scoring changes the Oilers allowed against Calgary. It’s been happening way too often, but it’s not all on the defence.
- Sekera is going to be fine. He plays the toughest competition and is doing well. The team gets a higher proportion of shot attempts and scoring chances when he’s on the ice compared to his teammates. He’s the least of our concerns right now.
- Draisaitl has played very well over the last two games, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets sent down to Bakersfield once Eberle is back. Chiarelli talked about Leon learning the “200 ft game” as a center and how important the long-term development is for him.
- That bottom six could use help, and I’d like to see how Lander does paired with Leon. That said, I think Draisaitl should be developed as a center in the AHL, where he would get top minutes and play in all situations.
- Should be a fun couple of games this week against Philly and Pittsburgh. Both teams generate a lot of chances, but also give up a lot. Hopefully the Oilers can pull out a win and head into an extended road trip with a set lineup.