Worth noting are some of the remarks Indira made at our Alumni Council meeting back in March in regards to the state of the University and the future president:
- Indira stressed that it doesn’t matter how great your natural resources, like oil, are. The most important thing is talent and brainpower.
- She spoke about academic transformation, which included improving the graduate student experience and developing a stronger recruitment strategy.
- Indira suggested that the President should be involved in the tenure and promotion process.
- She also suggested that Faculty Dean’s should have strategic visions aligned with the University to ensure accountability.
- The U of A needs to develop a sustainable funding model and rely less on Government, who rely to heavily on oil) according to Indira.
- Indira continues to stress the importance of aspiring to be a top global university.
- The next President must be a “connoisseur of excellence” and have the ability to select talent, drive change and manage performance.
All the best to David. Look forward to working with him.